Last updated: 19 January
As North Yorkshire moved into Tier 3 from 31 December, and the nation was put into lockdown from 4 January, we have once again had to close our doors.
We wish all our customers a Happy New Year, and look forward to a more positive 2021 for everyone. We’ll update this page and our other channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Google) as soon as we’re able to reopen, to let you know our plans.
In the meantime, remember we have two productions available to enjoy online: Haunting Julia and the film of The Snow Queen
PLUS OutReach classes are back online!
Stay safe – we can’t wait to welcome you back into the theatre (again!)
Customer safety has always been a priority for us, and at the moment, it’s even higher on our ‘to do’ list.
During your visit we ask that you follow some simple guidelines to protect yourself, other customers and our staff. We will be constantly reviewing the guidelines below, and would welcome any feedback you may have. Watch our video below, and scroll down for more details.
On this page:
- Opening hours & booking information
- Track and trace
- Around the building
- Keeping you safe in the cinema and the theatre
- Keeping you safe at Eat Me @ the SJT
- Any questions?
- Risk assessment
The SJT Box Office
The Box Office is currently closed for in-person bookings and until further notice, our box office phone line won’t be staffed, although you can leave a voicemail - these will be checked regularly and we’ll try to get back to you as soon as we can. You can, of course, still book for online shows and OutReach classes here.
Eat Me Café @ the SJT
On our first-floor (lift available!), offering an eclectic mix of British & Asian food, daily specials, cocktails, craft beer and a whole lot more besides!
Closed until further notice. You can follow Eat Me Cafe on Facebook and Twitter.
Shop at SJT
Run by a cooperative of local artisans selling a wide range of cards and hand-crafted gifts. Opening hours are currently:
Closed until further notice. For updates, follow the Shop on Facebook and Twitter.
As part of the cinema ticket booking process, we’ll ask for the lead booker’s contact details. These will be stored and, if necessary, used as part of track and trace.
Eat Me @ the SJT customers will be required to scan a QR code at the venue to provide details of the lead booker for track and trace.
- A member of our friendly team will meet you at the front door and check your Eat Me @ the SJT reservation/cinema/theatre booking. They’ll also ask you to confirm that neither you, nor any member of your party, have COVID-19 symptoms or have been in close contact with anyone who has COVID-19.
- We have introduced temperature checks on entry - if this is over 37.8°C we will unfortunately be unable to allow you to enter and your ticket fee will be credited to your account.
- Please use the hand sanitiser provided as you enter the building.
- Please note that face coverings are now mandatory in indoor settings. The exceptions to this are when eating or drinking and if you have a legitimate reason not to. If you would feel more comfortable showing something to say you don't have to wear a face covering, you can download exemption cards here.
- The passenger lift is available but we ask that only one household group (to a maximum of four people) use it at a time.
- In parts of the building we’ve introduced a one way system. Where this isn’t possible we ask that you keep to the right and be considerate to other patrons in order to maintain social distance. At busy times members of our staff may manage audience flow around the building.
- At the end of your visit you may be asked to exit via a different route to that which you're used to. Most exits lead directly out onto Hanover Road, or onto Northway.
- We’ve reduced the numbers of both customers and staff in the building.
- Cinema screenings are limited to just 20% capacity, so there’s plenty of room, and every booking will have aisle access, so you won’t have to squeeze past those who arrived before you.
- Shows in the Round are limited to a maximum of 25% capacity, often less.
- Arrival timings for the Round are based on where you’re seated and are designed to reduce the need to pass anyone. However, we can’t guarantee you won’t have to pass or be passed by someone else, and we ask you to be considerate to others when entering and leaving the auditorium and to stand if someone does need to get past you.
- We have increased the frequency of cleaning in all areas, and carry out enhanced cleaning between screenings and shows, with particular attention paid to touch points such as seats, hand rails, toilets, taps etc.
- The building will be regularly decontaminated using cold fogging machines, a safe, environmentally friendly way of neutralising any biohazard including virus such as Covid-19 - you can find out more about the process here.
- All our staff will wear face coverings.
- We’ve increased the amount of fresh air ventilation in the cinema and have fitted new air filters.
- Whilst our bar and kiosk aren’t open at the moment, patrons can purchase a range of packaged alcoholic hot and cold drinks, sweets and ices inside the auditorium – please note that payment is by card only at this time. Where performances and screenings have an interval we will gladly take advance interval orders.
- When you arrive, you may need to wait a few moments to be seated.
- We want you to feel safe as you take your place at our socially distanced tables. We’ll be catering for a maximum of 42 people at any one time.
- We’ve introduced a thorough cleaning regime. Our laminated menus are cleaned after each use and cutlery is brought to you when you order, and sanitised each time. Our tables are carefully cleaned after each use. We’ll provide condiments on request.
- We’re keeping staff contact with cutlery, crockery and glasses to a minimum, and our staff will maintain social distance from you.
- Hand sanitiser and tissues will be available around the venue.
- We will ensure that the space is always well ventilated.
- Staff are now wearing face coverings.
You can read the full Eat Me at SJT risk assessment here.
There are plenty of toilets available. We ask customers to observe social distancing and we have taken some facilities out of use to assist with this.
We’ve increased the frequency of cleaning, and we ask that you use the hand sanitiser provided before entering the toilets, as well as washing hands thoroughly afterwards, of course!
If you should need to use the toilets during the show, a member of staff will guide you. It may be that you can’t then be re-seated in your original seat.