Last updated: 12 August
Welcome back to the Stephen Joseph Theatre!
Customer safety has always been a priority for us, and at the moment, it’s even higher on our ‘to do’ list.
During your visit to both the SJT and to Eat Me @ The SJT, we ask that you follow some simple guidelines to protect yourself, other customers and our staff. They’re pretty straightforward, and you’ll probably already be familiar with most from going into shops and other premises.
We will be constantly reviewing the guidelines below, and would welcome any feedback you may have.
Watch our video below, and scroll down for more details.
Cinema screenings restart from 20 August, but it will only have a limited capacity to ensure social distancing.
If you book online, you can print your tickets at home or show an e-ticket on your phone. But don’t worry if those options aren’t possible; we will also have a full list of all tickets booked so will be able to check your details when you arrive.
The Box Office will now be open Thursday to Saturday, 11am - 4pm.
We will also be able to take phone bookings during these times on 01723 370541.
Please note: we are still asking you to make advance bookings only where possible, rather than walk-up on-the-day, and would like to thank you in advance for your patience.
Initially, cinema seating will be unallocated at the time of booking; our staff will assign you seats on arrival to maximise social distancing (and all bookings will have aisle access – see below).
Eat Me Café @ the SJT is open on our first-floor (lift available!), offering an eclectic mix of British & Asian food, daily specials, cocktails, craft beer and a whole lot more besides!
You are advised to book tables in advance to avoid disappointment: please call on 07445 475328 or go via their Facebook page (Eat Me Café & Social).
Due to popular demand, Eat Me @ the SJT is now operating Monday to Saturday:
Mon - Wed, 10.30am - 6.30pm
Thur - Sat, 10.30am - 7.30pm
As part of the cinema ticket booking process, we’ll ask for the lead booker’s contact details. These will be stored and, if necessary, used as part of track and trace.
Eat Me @ the SJT customers will be asked at the venue to provide details of the lead booker.
- A member of our friendly staff will meet you at the front door and check your Eat Me @ The SJT reservation/cinema booking. They’ll also ask you to confirm that neither you, nor any member of your party, have COVID-19 symptoms or have been in close contact with anyone who has COVID-19.
- Please use the hand sanitiser provided as you enter the building.
- Please note that face coverings are now mandatory in indoor settings. The exceptions to this are when eating or drinking and if you have a legitimate reason not to. If you would feel more comfortable showing something to say you don't have to wear a face covering, you can download exemption cards here.
- The passenger lift is available but we ask that only one household group (to a maximum of four people) use it at a time.
- As you move around the building, you’ll see that we’ve introduced a one-way system and two-metre social distancing reminders on the floor. Where two metres isn’t possible, we’ve used other mitigations.
- At the end of your visit, you’ll exit via the rear of the building onto Hanover Road (you’ll be unfamiliar with this exit, but our staff will guide you). But if you need to use the passenger lift this will still be available.
- We’ve reduced the numbers of both customers and staff in the building.
- Cinema screenings are limited to just 20% capacity, so there’s plenty of room, and every booking will have aisle access, so you won’t have to squeeze past those who arrived before you.
- There will be enhanced cleaning in the auditorium between screenings with particular attention paid to seats and toilets.
- All our staff will wear face coverings/visors.
- We’ve increased the amount of fresh air ventilation in the cinema and have fitted new air filters.
- Whilst our bar and kiosk aren’t open at the moment, cinema-goers can purchase a range of packaged alcoholic and soft drinks, sweets and ices from the rear of the McCarthy – please note that payment is by card only at this time.
- We have increased the frequency of cleaning in all areas.
- When you arrive, you may need to wait a few moments to be seated.
- We want you to feel safe as you take your place at our socially distanced tables. We’ll be catering for a maximum of 42 people at any one time.
- We’ve introduced a thorough cleaning regime. Our laminated menus are cleaned after each use and cutlery is brought to you when you order, and sanitised each time. Our tables are carefully cleaned after each use. We’ll provide condiments on request.
- We’re keeping staff contact with cutlery, crockery and glasses to a minimum, and our staff will maintain social distance from you.
- Hand sanitiser and tissues will be available around the venue.
- We will ensure that the space is always well ventilated.
You can read the full Eat Me at SJT risk assessment here.
There are plenty of toilets available. We ask customers to observe social distancing and we have taken some facilities out of use to assist with this.
We’ve increased the frequency of cleaning, and we ask that you use the hand sanitiser provided before entering the toilets, as well as washing hands thoroughly afterwards, of course!
If you have any questions or require any further assistance, you can find us on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook to have your questions answered directly and quickly.
We don’t have a staffed customer service phone line at the moment but you can leave messages and we’ll respond as quickly as we can.
And if you’d like more detail on any of the above, you can find the full SJT risk assessment at the link below.