Last updated: 30 April
We'll update this page and our social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Google) with all our news and updates.
We plan to re-open on Monday 17 May, with the first live show, The Greatest Play in the History of the World…, starting on Tuesday 18 May. Four SJT-produced shows are now on sale - read more here.
From 17 May, Eat Me Café will continue its successful residency in our first floor lounge bar until at least the autumn. They will be open Monday to Saturday from 10am (last orders 6.30pm Mon-Wed and 7.30pm Thur - Sat).
The McCarthy cinema is set to re-open from Tuesday 25 May – the first films are available to book now.
All the appropriate Covid safety measures will be in place according to Government guidance - the information on this page may therefore be subject to change. If you have any specific queries, please do get in touch.
Stay safe – we can’t wait to welcome you back again!
During your visit we ask that you follow the guidelines to protect yourself, other customers and our staff. We will be constantly reviewing the guidelines below, and welcome any feedback you may have. Watch our video below, and scroll down for more details.
On this page:
- Opening hours & booking information
- Track and trace
- Around the building
- Keeping you safe in the cinema and the theatre
- Keeping you safe at Eat Me @ the SJT
- Any questions?
- Risk assessment
The SJT Box Office
The phone line (01723 370541) is open Monday to Saturday, noon till 2pm.
You can email us with any booking queries and, of course, you can book online here.
Eat Me Café @ the SJT
On our first-floor (lift available!), offering an eclectic mix of British & Asian food, daily specials, cocktails, craft beer and a whole lot more besides!
Reopening from Monday 17 May:
Monday - Saturday from 10am (last orders 6.30pm Mon-Wed and 7.30pm Thur - Sat).
Contact the Eat Me team directly to book your table via 07445 475328 or email.
You can follow Eat Me Cafe on Facebook and Twitter.
Shop at SJT
Run by a cooperative of local artisans selling a wide range of cards and hand-crafted gifts.
Closed until further notice. For updates, follow the Shop on Facebook and Twitter.
As part of the cinema ticket booking process, we’ll ask for the lead booker’s contact details. These will be stored and, if necessary, used as part of track and trace.
Eat Me @ the SJT customers will be required to scan a QR code at the venue to provide details of the lead booker for track and trace.
- A member of our friendly team will meet you at the front door and check your Eat Me @ the SJT reservation/cinema/theatre booking. They’ll also ask you to confirm that neither you, nor any member of your party, have COVID-19 symptoms or have been in close contact with anyone who has COVID-19.
- We have introduced temperature checks on entry - if this is over 37.8°C we will unfortunately be unable to allow you to enter and your ticket fee will be credited to your account.
- Please use the hand sanitiser provided as you enter the building.
- Please note that face coverings are now mandatory in indoor settings. The exceptions to this are when eating or drinking and if you have a legitimate reason not to. If you would feel more comfortable showing something to say you don't have to wear a face covering, you can download exemption cards here.
- The passenger lift is available but we ask that only one household group (to a maximum of four people) use it at a time.
- In parts of the building we’ve introduced a one way system. Where this isn’t possible we ask that you keep to the right and be considerate to other patrons in order to maintain social distance. At busy times members of our staff may manage audience flow around the building.
- At the end of your visit you may be asked to exit via a different route to that which you're used to. Most exits lead directly out onto Hanover Road, or onto Northway.
- We’ve reduced the numbers of both customers and staff in the building.
- Cinema screenings are limited to approximately 35% capacity, and now have allocated seats so you can choose where to sit.
- Shows in the Round are limited to a maximum of 50% capacity, sometimes less.
- Arrival timings for the Round and the McCarthy are based on where you’re seated and are designed to reduce the need to pass anyone. However, we can’t guarantee you won’t have to pass or be passed by someone else, and we ask you to be considerate to others when entering and leaving the auditorium and to stand if someone does need to get past you.
- We have increased the frequency of cleaning in all areas, and carry out enhanced cleaning between screenings and shows, with particular attention paid to touch points such as seats, hand rails, toilets, taps etc.
- The building will be regularly decontaminated using cold fogging machines, a safe, environmentally friendly way of neutralising any biohazard including virus such as Covid-19 - you can find out more about the process here.
- All our staff will wear face coverings.
- We’ve increased the amount of fresh air ventilation in the cinema and have fitted new air filters.
- We have now implemented online ordering - choose from a range of refreshments after selecting your tickets, and they’ll be ready for you to collect on arrival. If you’re not ready to decide, you can add items to your order later by phoning the box office; we’ll also remind you in a pre-visit email.
- When you arrive, you may need to wait a few moments to be seated.
- We want you to feel safe as you take your place at our socially distanced tables. We’ll be catering for a maximum of 42 people at any one time.
- We’ve introduced a thorough cleaning regime. Our laminated menus are cleaned after each use and cutlery is brought to you when you order, and sanitised each time. Our tables are carefully cleaned after each use. We’ll provide condiments on request.
- We’re keeping staff contact with cutlery, crockery and glasses to a minimum, and our staff will maintain social distance from you.
- Hand sanitiser and tissues will be available around the venue.
- We will ensure that the space is always well ventilated.
- Staff are now wearing face coverings.
You can read the full Eat Me at SJT risk assessment here.
There are plenty of toilets available. We ask customers to observe social distancing and we have taken some facilities out of use to assist with this.
We’ve increased the frequency of cleaning, and we ask that you use the hand sanitiser provided before entering the toilets, as well as washing hands thoroughly afterwards, of course!
If you should need to use the toilets during the show, a member of staff will guide you. It may be that you can’t then be re-seated in your original seat.